Educational visits for school groups
Come and visit the largest single-site geothermal power plant in the world!
Students are welcome to the Geothermal exhibition. We offer a guided tour through the exhibition, specially adjusted for our younger audience. Students are encouraged to ask questions and explore the exhibition further on their own. Quick facts:
- At Hellisheiði Power Plant, we extract energy from volcanoes
- 90% of Icelandic households enjoy geothermal heating (no coal and no oil)
- Hellisheiði plant alone produces about half of Iceland's domestic electricity
- ON Power is installing infrastructure for electric cars with fast-charging stations all around Iceland.
- Groundbreaking innovations are changing CO2 into basalt
- Guided tour
- Price: ISK 1.250
All tours are a great way to learn and experience how we produce green energy from nature. Our guides speak English and Icelandic.
Normally we are quite busy in the mornings from 9:00-11:00. Therefore,we recommend booking the group in advance.
Number of students that have been taught about sustainable energy production
Number of school groups that have visited the geothermal exhibition
Number of questions answered by our experienced staff
Number of different nationalities that have been to Hellisheidi
"This is a must visit"
The visit was very educational and the guides made it even more interesting. I enjoyed the exhibition but I “loved” just to be there, hear the sound of the steam, smell the Sulphur, feel the power from underneath my feet, see the turbine hall, feel the power of an earthquake.
Caroline, 17 years old from UK
Such an interesting place to take your school group and learn everything about renewable energy. If you care for the future of our planet at all. This is a must visit.
William, teacher from the US